Paul Rivett (Lumison BlueSquare Data/Stancombe Vehicle Engineering) will line up in pole position for rounds 15 & 16 of the AirAisa Renault Clio Cup UK at Brands Hatch GP, as the championship prepares for one of its closest season finales to date with five drivers capable of winning the title.
Rivett, currently third in the championship standings, set a time of 1min 39.906secs to lead title rivals James Colburn (Westbourne Motorsport) and Team Pyro’s Aron Smith in qualifying for round 15, which will take place this afternoon.
The grid for round 16 will see former double Renault Clio Cup Champion, Rivett line up on the grid ahead of Scuderia Vittoria’s Luke Wright, followed by Smith as the title looks set to go right down to the wire in the last race of what has been a dramatic season.
“That was a case of average driving and superb engineering from the team,” said Rivett. “We are right where we need to be this weekend so I am very happy. I’m going to do my absolute best to win my third championship here this weekend.”
There were woes for Total Control Racing’s James Dixon, who is currently lying second in the championship, just a mere point behind Smith. Along with a number of other drivers, local boy Dixon exceeded the track limits on several occasions and had a number of his best times removed, leaving him in ninth and seventh.
Race action at Brands Hatch GP gets underway at 16:25 this afternoon with full text commentary available on Twitter.
Round 15 qualifying top ten:
1. Paul Rivett Lumison BlueSquare Data/Stancombe Vehicle Engineering 1:39.906
2. James Colburn Westbourne Motorsport 1:40.066
3. Aron Smith Team Pyro 1:40.131
4. Luke Wright Scuderia Vittoria 1:40.134
5. Jake Packun Get On Track Developments 1:40.242
6. Jack Goff Team Pyro 1:40.292
7. Josh Files Team Pyro 1:40.337
8. Adam Bonham Team Pyro 1:40.371
9. James Dixon Total Control Racing 1:40.483
10. Rob Boston JHR Developments 1:40.586
Round 16 qualifying top ten
1. Paul Rivett Lumison BlueSquare Data/Stancombe Vehicle Engineering 1:40.118
2. Luke Wright Scuderia Vittoria 1:40.164
3. Aron Smith Team Pyro 1:40.236
4. Jake Packun Get On Track Developments 1:40.313
5. Jack Goff Team Pyro 1:40.367
6. James Colburn Westbourne Motorsport 1:40.426
7. Adam Bonham Team Pyro 1:40.458
8. James Dixon Total Control Racing 1:40.553
9. Josh Files Team Pyro 1:40.596
10. Ant Whorton-Eales Scuderia Vittoria 1:40.622