Team Pyro drivers Jack Goff and Josh Files will line up on the front row for this afternoon’s round 13 of the AirAsia Renault Clio Cup UK championship after a red-flag interrupted qualifying at Rockingham.
Goff, currently fifth in the championship standings, set a 1min 30.271secs time on his penultimate run of the 1.94mile circuit made up of sections of Rockingham’s banked oval circuit allied to a technical infield.
Files – tenth in the championship – was almost two tenths adrift of his team-mate, with under a second separating the top twelve qualifiers.
There were woes for championship lead Paul Rivett, whose Lumison BlueSquare Data / Stancombe Vehicle Engineering Clio cut-out whilst on track. The troubles were a double whammy for the two time champ, as today’s qualifying session sets the grid for tomorrow’s as well as today’s race. Rivett has his work cut out, as he will start this afternoon’s and tomorrow’s races from 16th position.
Rivett’s ranking on the grid gifts his rivals a benefit, with second in the points Aron Smith starting his Team Pyro car from fifth on the grid this afternoon and sixth position tomorrow. Third in the standings James Dixon starts from P4 today, and P3 on Sunday.
Race action at Rockingham starts at 16:15 this afternoon.
Round 13 top ten qualifiers
1. Jack Goff Team Pyro 1:30.271
2. Josh Files Team Pyro 1:30.458
3. James Colburn Westbourne Motorsport 1:30.597
4. James Dixon Total Control Racing 1:30.652
5. Aron Smith Team Pyro 1:30.653
6. Ant Whorton-Eales Scuderia Vittoria 1:30.715
7. Luke Wright Scuderia Vittoria 1:30.734
8. Jake Packun Get On Track Developments 1:30.810
9. Adam Bonham Team Pyro 1:30.875
10. Rob Boston JHR Developments 1:30.972
Round 14 top ten qualifiers
1. Jack Goff Team Pyro 1:30.383
2. James Colburn Westbourne Motorsport 1:30.616
3. James Dixon Total Control Racing 1:30.755
4. Josh Files Team Pyro 1:30.834
5. Luke Wright Scuderia Vittoria 1:30.860
6. Aron Smith Team Pyro 1:30.879
7. Jake Packun Get On Track Developments 1:30.953
8. Adam Bonham Team Pyro 1:30.959
9. Ant Whorton-Eales Scuderia Vittoria 1:30.990
10. Rob Boston JHR Developments 1:31.006