Colburn, who only drove in three of today’s practice sessions, set a 2min 08.808secs at the 2.97 mile track to go almost half a second than his nearest rival, Get On Track Developments’ Jake Packun.
“It was good to get to grips with the new layout,” said Colburn. “I’ve tested here before but it’s a layout that takes time to learn. There are corners which are pretty difficult in a front wheel drive car, especially through Coram and into Murrays where the rear is very light. I think it’s going to be very interesting when we visit Snetterton in August.”
Colburn will be enjoying an activity of a different kind this weekend as he visits Westfield Shopping Centre in London as a guest of Clio Cup title sponsor, AirAsia, where he will meet shoppers and participate in a simulator head-to-head contest on Sunday afternoon from 14:00, with his car on display from Friday. “I’m looking forward to it,” he said.
Round four of the AirAsia Renault Clio Cup UK takes place at Cheshire’s Oulton Park circuit on June 4-5.
Best overall times from four test sessions today
1. James Colburn Westbourne Motorsport 2:08.808s G
2. Jake Packun Get On Track Developments 2:09.264s G
3. Josh Files Team Pyro 2:09.267s G
4. Chris Swanwick Team Pyro 2:09.346s G
5. Paul Rivett Lumison BlueSquare Data/SVE 2:09.363s
6. Adam Bonham Team Pyro 2:09.456s G
7. Neb Bursac 20Ten Racing Limited 2:09.893s
8. Mark Proctor TCR Racing 2:09.991s M
9. Darren Wilson 20Ten Racing Limited 2:10.061s M
10. Nicolas Hamilton TCR Racing 2:10.468s G